[GEM-dev] Gem & MinGW

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Thu Dec 15 20:08:14 CET 2011

On Dec 14, 2011, at 8:13 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> as you might have noticed there have been some bug tickets regarding
> MinGW in the last days.
> you might also have noticed that all of them have been set to pending/fixed.
>
> this basically indicates, that it is now possible to compile Gem on MinGW.
>
> what is working:
> - - Gem *core* compiles
> - - Gem loads
> - - this means that all objects are available
> - - the plugin mechanism works
>
> what is not working:
> - - you'll not be able to load a plugin compiled with VisualC++ into a
> MinGW-compiled Gem or vice versa
> (at least as long as there is no C-API for plugins)
>
> - - what will need some more work
> DirectShow image acquisition (videoDS, filmDS) will need to be
> reimplemented for MinGW...hopefully in a way that allows the new
> implementations to be used with the M$VC builds as well...

Nice work!  I think this can hopefully save some work in the long run because y'all can focus on gcc on all platforms.  Plus it means that Gem can be built and used with all free tools.

I'm curious why such a thing would need to be totally reimplemented for MinGW, does it use lots of MSVC-only extensions?

> what is unknown/untested:
> - - i haven't had any libraries additional libraries installed
> thus i don't know, how much work the following still needs: FTGL-,
> QuickTime-, JPEG-, TIFF-, ImageMagick-,... support
> (actually, the only plugins i was able to test were imageSGI (for which
> i lacked a test image to load) and videoVFW (which does not support my
> camera)
> chances are high, that most of these libraries will "just work".

The pdlab windowsxp-i386 machine has libjpeg, libtiff, gmerlin, etc. installed if you want to test there.