[GEM-dev] please reopen bug 3222807

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 03:21:45 CET 2012

Hi,

Bug 3222807 should be reopened. Or if you prefer to file a new one and
copy-paste the information because it "is good for the bugs-closed
statistic" then go ahead.

It affects both Windows and Linux. Zmoelnig said he tested it on Mac OS
and works, I believe that, but I've tested it again on Linux and I
confirm the issue. And windows of course.

Also note the annoying "threaded loaded image: ..." as if the image was
succesfully loaded (well it is succesfully loaded but not decoded).

- regarding windows, Zmoelnig said:
"w32: Gem uses some rather old static code to decode image files (hence
there is only a very limited number of supported formats); this code might
not be able to read your TIFF file, and i have no real intent to fix this;
rather, the w32 version should switch to a more common API (DirectSomething
and/or QT) for reading images."

Well that definitely needs to be done.
As does adding support for png, bmp, and all the most common image
formats on all OSes. Not being able to open a png or a bmp (besides some
tiffs of course) on this or that OS is ridiculous.

thanks
m.