[GEM-dev] Gem + gem_filmGMERLIN Plugin Crash 10.7.3

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Mar 6 09:18:51 CET 2012

On 2012-03-05 22:18, m.e.grimm wrote:
> OK. I altered your filmGMERLIN.cpp a little and am able to load pd/gem
> with filmGMERLIN plugin support.... without crashing pd that is...
>
> now I get when I try to load alea.mpg into pix_film:
> http://pastebin.com/XU25JLPY
>
> and this when I try to load homer.avi into pix_film
> http://pastebin.com/kXdABQUv
>
> attached are my changes to filmGMERLIN.cpp with comments.

hmm, please:
- - try to create a git diff, rather than sending the full source file
around
for a starter checkout http://puredata.info/docs/developer/GitWorkflows
(you have to use Gem's git-uri, of course)

- - when doing comments, please comment about why you are doing something,
rather than what you are doing.
if i do a
$ diff org/filmGMERLIN.cpp new/filmGMERLIN.cpp
i can well see that you have added a new line (which is what your
comment is saying as well), but why you did that, i have no clue

- - what is the reason to initialize m_curFrame to 0 rather than -1?
looking at the code, it seems like m_curFrame isn't used at all (it's
assigned values somewhere, but it is never read; seems to be a leftover
from the olde days), i can hardly imagine that changing the initial
value of a virtually unused variable can fix anything

- - adding "gavl_video_converter_t*m_gconverter = NULL;" will only shadow
the class member "m_gconverter", which is most likely _not_ what we
want, as it will most likely crash as soon as the (uninitialized,
non-existant) converter the member variable points to will be used.

i also am a bit stymified, why this should prevent the crash you
originally had.
you could go and try something like this instead:
<snap>
gavl_video_converter_t*converter = gavl_video_converter_create ();
m_gconverter=converter;
</snap>

i wonder though, why m_gconverter is not properly initialized in the
initialization list (it should be set to NULL)...

i'll try to cleanup the code....

fgmadr
IOhannes