[GEM-dev] pix_rom + plugins, etc

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Mar 16 23:12:08 CET 2012

On 03/12/12 17:29, m.e.grimm wrote:
> IOhannes, all,
>
> I started (a couple years ago) looking into porting or coding
> something similar to Kyle Buza's jit.atari2600
> (http://mmonoplayer.com/jit2600.php) but got sidetracked with life....
>
> Looking at and messing around with the new Gem plugin system got me
> thinking this morning and wondering if this could also be used for an
> objects such as "pix_rom" where the plugins/backends could be
> emulators (nintendo, intellivision, etc) such as gem_romATARI,
> gem_romNINTENDO, etc....
>
> I have been self-learning more and more C over the past few months but
> still my skills are pretty poor (still a hack)... anyway, I am
> wondering if there is a good place to start a "pix_rom" object? Maybe
> begin with "pix_model"? I know the documentation is pretty thin on
> recent Gem stuff right now... understandably.
>
> I am also looking for help and support if anyone is interested.
>
> I also view this as something long term and am in no rush...

i think that it would be simplest to make those rom's into video-plugins
- afaiu, the output they generate is only video.
one could scheme some clever way to interact with the emulator more
efficiently than via Gem's properties, e.g. by having a property
"receivename" where the emulator will listen for Pd-messages directly.

fgmasdr