[GEM-dev] imageCOCOA plugin

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed May 9 13:41:05 CEST 2012

On 05/08/2012 11:48 PM, m.e.grimm wrote:
> hey
>
> i just wrote a quick imageCOCOA gem plugin that compiles fine. Im
> using cocoas NSImage (not sure if it works). What I have is
> imageCOCOA.mm which is objective-C (obviously)...

cool. it's good someone takes a lead here!

would you mind publishing your code somewhere?
(e.g. cloning on github[*], and pushing your code to your personal
repository, so it's easy to integrate once it's done.

> when starting PD and getting something like "GEM: image loading
> support: SGI" i was hoping to get "GEM: image loading support: SGI
> COCOA" ... i am assuming this is whether the plugin has been loaded or
> not based on Gem just recognizing that it is there?
>
> anyway. whether the plugin works or not is not the point. i just want
> notification that Gem actually sees that its there and at least tries
> to load it...

Gem should be pretty verbose on the cmdline about what it does when
trying to load the plugin (supposed it can find it)

> maybe im going about this all wrong. so i need advice. this is all
> assuming I can just write any old plugin, drop it in the Gem folder
> and as long as the plugin is written correctly and find all the
> libs/frameworks it needs it will load... or does Gem itself have to be
> compiled knowing that a plugin may or may not exist...

no, that's the idea of the plugins.
Gem will simply look for files named "gem_image*.so" and try to load all
of those.
the cmdline should give you some hints though, what goes wrong, if there
is a file named correctly, and it still doesn't show up.

you code will need to have a line like:
  REGISTER_IMAGELOADERFACTORY(cocoa", imageCOCOA);

that will actually add the plugin to the plugin-factory.

fgmasdr
IOhannes

[*] due to recent sourceforge outages, i have created a mirror of Gem on
github: http://github.com/umlaeute/Gem