[GEM-dev] [ pd-gem-Bugs-3517368 ] gem 0.93 does not play .mpg files on Mac OS X

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:28:04 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>wrote:

> You've captured the problem with Apple these days in a nutshell.  Seems
> like
> they are going Final Cut X on everything, or worse: its all about selling
> stuff in iTunes, and everything takes a back seat to that.
>
> After using NeXTSTEP/Mac OS X as my primary OS since 1995 (I was that weird
> guy with a NeXTSTEP/i386 box at work in 1998), I will never upgrade past
> Mac
> OS X 10.6, and these days I'm in Linux Mint 80-90% of the time.
>
> But ultimately, while I'm sad to see NeXTSTEP end like this, I'm happy
> Apple
> is going this route because that means they will drive away the people with
> skills, and send them to free software :)  I'm planning on getting
> involved in
> etoile/GNUstep to help build a better NeXTSTEP that is also free.

Not to get too sidetracked, but it was the Nexties that killed off
Quicktime because they did not understand the  first thing about media
arts.  After the Jobs/Next reverse takeover of Apple the shift was from art
to industrial design (and consumer marketing).  It was a constant source of
frustration for the people working on what was previously Apple's core
market.  I heard repeatedly from those people at Apple that 'management
doesn't get art'.