[GEM-dev] Oculus Rift distortion/support

Michael Mihocic michael.mihocic at oeaw.ac.at
Thu Jul 25 12:04:17 CEST 2013

Dear list,

we are using GEM with a head-mounted-display to present a virtual world
to subjects performing acoustic localization experiments.

Now we plan to switch from our current HMD to Oculus Rift (an upcoming
virtual reality head-mounted display). Therefore we need to modify our
image and add (asymetric) barrel distortion to the represented image.
(The image distortion is compensated by the lenses in Oculus Rift.)

My questions now:
- Is there an easy solution to implement barrel distortion to the
rendered window in GEM?
- Does anybody of you already have some experience with GEM together
with Oculus Rift?

Since attachments should be avoided in this list, I do not send any
example pictures of the distortion or our current presented world. If
you are interested you can either contact me and I can send you some
screenshots, or you can google for example images/videos of Oculus Rift
distortion.

Thanks in advance and best regards, Michael

--
Michael Mihocic
Psychoacoustics & Experimental Audiology
michael.mihocic at oeaw.ac.at