[GEM-dev] help with glsl abstractions

Antoine Villeret antoine.villeret at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 14:22:46 CEST 2013

2013/8/30 Jack <jack at rybn.org>

> Hello Nicolas,
>
> Le 30/08/2013 10:48, Nicolas Montgermont a écrit :
>
> > Hello jack,
> >
> > yes it can be very useful and powerful.
> Yep.
>
> > On the abstraction you send I have differents remarks:
> > - it is not compatible with [pix_chroma_key] and I think this is very
important. The main usage of that kind of abstractions is to have an easy
and faster replacement for existing objects.
> Not totally compatible, yes. I think, it is more simpler to use a range
value as float which determine the distance between the target color to
remove (and other color in a circle of radius equal to that range). There
is many way to make a chroma_key... But you are right, the aim of this
abstractions is to be like pix_ object (when it is possible). What other
people think about it ?

I think it's better to have drop-in replacement of pix_* object, but it
could be difficult to manage
for example a strict equivalent to pix_chroma_key should handle a no
argument initialisation, is this possible with glsl_chroma_key ?

> > - I see no reasons to have a default size to 256x256, or even to have a
size as an argument, texture size of the first texture will be really
easier as default, and dimen can be used to change that.
> 256x256 is the default size of the texture generate by [gemframebuffer].
> If you have a texture1 at 800x800 tx and a second at 400x400 tx and need
a texture at 200x200 tx as output, it is possible.
> If you start to change the dimen of the texture1 with [pix_resize], it is
too slow...
> Of course, you can use the message [dimen( on the abstraction to change
the size of the texture generate.

yes and pix_chroma_key doesn't handle non equal texture, so this is good
but, I think we can make it more silently
By scaling texcoord according to texture size
But maybe i m wrong...

> > - I think it's good if the provided example of the usage is easily
transposable, beginners tends to copy directly from the help patch. I think
here for example the main gemhead could be to default and the gemhead
before the gemframebuffer to 49
> I let the user (beginner) to manage it with the 'main' gemhead. It is why
the gemhead is outside from the abstraction. With that, you can chain glsl_
abstractions and choose the render order.

> > - for the help line : "inlet 1 all messages accepted by
gemframebuffer", I think it's good to have a subpatch [pd
framebuffer_messages] with a listing that can be tested. You may then copy
it inside the other help patchs.