[GEM-dev] help with glsl abstractions

Jack jack at rybn.org
Sat Aug 31 17:40:52 CEST 2013

Hello,

Le 31/08/2013 14:22, Antoine Villeret a écrit :

> 2013/8/30 Jack <jack at rybn.org <mailto:jack at rybn.org>>
>
> > Hello Nicolas,
> >
> > Le 30/08/2013 10:48, Nicolas Montgermont a écrit :
> >
> > > Hello jack,
> > >
> > > yes it can be very useful and powerful.
> > Yep.
> >
> > > On the abstraction you send I have differents remarks:
> > > - it is not compatible with [pix_chroma_key] and I think this is
> very important. The main usage of that kind of abstractions is to have
> an easy and faster replacement for existing objects.
> > Not totally compatible, yes. I think, it is more simpler to use a
> range value as float which determine the distance between the target
> color to remove (and other color in a circle of radius equal to that
> range). There is many way to make a chroma_key... But you are right,
> the aim of this abstractions is to be like pix_ object (when it is
> possible). What other people think about it ?
>
> I think it's better to have drop-in replacement of pix_* object, but
> it could be difficult to manage
> for example a strict equivalent to pix_chroma_key should handle a no
> argument initialisation, is this possible with glsl_chroma_key ?

It should be possible to make a global counter to assign that value as
texunit, But, if you have ever assigned it somewhere in your patch...
disaster ! Idem if you have ever pass the value to a [glsl_program]
localised somewhere else in your patch.
So, I think it is more simple to assign the texunit as argument in all
glsl_ abstractions. Or I am wrong ?

> > > - I see no reasons to have a default size to 256x256, or even to
> have a size as an argument, texture size of the first texture will be
> really easier as default, and dimen can be used to change that.
> > 256x256 is the default size of the texture generate by [gemframebuffer].
> > If you have a texture1 at 800x800 tx and a second at 400x400 tx and
> need a texture at 200x200 tx as output, it is possible.
> > If you start to change the dimen of the texture1 with [pix_resize],
> it is too slow...
> > Of course, you can use the message [dimen( on the abstraction to
> change the size of the texture generate.
>
> yes and pix_chroma_key doesn't handle non equal texture, so this is
> good but, I think we can make it more silently
> By scaling texcoord according to texture size
> But maybe i m wrong...

Yes, it could be possible with something like [glsl_texcoordchange].
See attached for instance (at the bottom of the patch).
++

Jack