[GEM-dev] GEM for Windows build on Microsoft Visual C++

Antoine Villeret antoine.villeret at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 14:20:35 CET 2013

Hi,

I built GEM on Windows with Visual C++ 2010 Express under Windows 7.
I made a how-to pdf with a step-by-step.
I have a working Gem.dll and several extras.
I managed to build filmDS by making some changes in the code (adding a
lacking qedit.h and changing #include order) but this could have broken
other builds.
I can't build videoDS due to several errors after replacing qedit.h and
changing header order :

1>------ Début de la génération : Projet : videoDS, Configuration : Release
Win32 ------
1>  videoDS.cpp
1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Samples\multimedia\directshow\baseclasses\wxdebug.h(295):
error C2146: erreur de syntaxe : absence de ';' avant l'identificateur
'm_pString'
1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Samples\multimedia\directshow\baseclasses\wxdebug.h(295):
error C4430: spécificateur de type manquant - int est pris en compte par
défaut. Remarque : C++ ne prend pas en charge int par défaut
1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Samples\multimedia\directshow\baseclasses\wxdebug.h(295):
error C4430: spécificateur de type manquant - int est pris en compte par
défaut. Remarque : C++ ne prend pas en charge int par défaut
1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Samples\multimedia\directshow\baseclasses\wxdebug.h(292):
error C2065: 'm_pString' : identificateur non déclaré
1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Samples\multimedia\directshow\baseclasses\wxdebug.h(316):
error C2065: 'm_pString' : identificateur non déclaré
1>..\videoDS.cpp(643): warning C4018: '<' : incompatibilité signed/unsigned
========== Génération : 0 a réussi, 1 a échoué, 1 mis à jour, 0 a été
ignoré ==========

imageMAGICK doesn't build due to errors (see attached log).
I'm linking against ImageMagick v.6.8.6
videoHALCON report some casting issue which I fixed by adding explicit cast
but linking fails.
I'm using HALCON v.11

I also have a question concerning Gem's dependencies.
I need to put some dll (freetype6.dll, ftgl.dll, pthreadVC2.dll and
zlib/dll)  beside Gem.dll.
Those files are not needed in the last release of Gem.
Is it possible to do that again ?
If no, could I attached a copy of those files in an archive to deploy Gem
(at least for testing) ?

I build Gem mainly to be able to build pix_opencv on Windows and I don't
try IT a lot.
So if somebody have time to test this on Windows, I'll be happy to make an
archive with binaries.
For now, there is a new folder under the build\ folder in my github
Gem/vce2010 branch.
https://github.com/avilleret/Gem.git

Any advice is welcome.

+