[GEM-dev] GEM for Windows build on Microsoft Visual C++

Antoine Villeret antoine.villeret at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 15:36:16 CET 2013

2013/11/4 IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>

> On 2013-11-04 14:20, Antoine Villeret wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I built GEM on Windows with Visual C++ 2010 Express under Windows
> > 7. I made a how-to pdf with a step-by-step.
>
> this is very welcome.?!

cool, the very first version is attached, and also in my repo under the
build/win-vce2010 in the vce2010 branch
but I wrote this as I come through the build, I hope this could be applied
to other visual version

> > I have a working Gem.dll and several extras.
>
> cool.
>
> > I managed to build filmDS by making some changes in the code
> > (adding a lacking qedit.h and changing #include order) but this
> > could have broken other builds.
>
> hmm, weird (i mean: why does it work on the original build?)

the first strange thing, is that qedit.h have been removed from Windows SDK
7
I found a replacement here :
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/2ab5c212-5824-419d-b5d9-7f5db82f57cd/qedith-missing-in-current-windows-sdk-v70?forum=windowsdirectshowdevelopment
but after that, there are some error due to including order
I know this is strange but I'm thinking this is due to the new SDK version
maybe it is possible to use the old one still on Windows 7

> > I also have a question concerning Gem's dependencies. I need to put
> > some dll (freetype6.dll, ftgl.dll, pthreadVC2.dll and zlib/dll)
> > beside Gem.dll.
>
> iirc, i build a static library of FTGL and link to that.
> this should fix the freetype6.dll/ftgl.dll issue (maybe zlib.dll as well).

this is what I guess, I'll try to do the same and i'll update the how-to

as for pthreadVC2.dll: isn't this shipped with Pd-vanilla?

I have pthreadGC2.dll, pthreadVC.dll and pthreadVC.lib in pd-0.45.3/bin
but no pthreadVC2.dll, maybe one of those could be used instead

> > I build Gem mainly to be able to build pix_opencv on Windows and I
> > don't try IT a lot. So if somebody have time to test this on
> > Windows, I'll be happy to make an archive with binaries. For now,
> > there is a new folder under the build\ folder in my github
> > Gem/vce2010 branch. https://github.com/avilleret/Gem.git
>
> thanks.

you're welcome :-)