[GEM-dev] Compiling Gem from git on osx mavericks

Dan Wilcox via GEM-dev gem-dev at lists.iem.at
Tue Jun 24 16:23:40 CEST 2014

Oh, the current status is that the build system supports Obj-C and filmAVFoundation is compiled correctly, but it doesn't really do anything. I basically got the code integration working but haven't moved to debugging and getting to load into a texture. It *seems* to load a movie files, but I haven't gotten farther than that. I wish I had the extra cash to visit you guys and bang it out in a week :D

On Jun 24, 2014, at 10:20 AM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy guys,
>

> On Jun 24, 2014, at 8:13 AM, via GEM-dev <gem-dev at lists.iem.at> wrote:
>
>> however, i would very much prefer to have *native* plugins available
>> as well (e.g. using AV-kit) - simply because it is what most people
>> will expect.
>
> Yes. AVFoundation is what you'll have to use at this point.
>
>>> Must it be written in C++ or can it be written in objective C?
>>
>> ObjectiveC++ is the way to go.
>> (you need C++ to make Gem recognize the plugin; you can use ObjC to
>> properly interact with the AVFoundation Framework)
>>
>> but who is going to implement it?
>

> I've started on it by wrapping the AVFoundation Player and Grabber classes from OpenFrameworks, but I haven't been able to put much time into it since a few months ago. It's kind of low on my list right now ...
>
> The avfoundation branch at https://github.com/danomatika/Gem/tree/avfoundation and plugins/filmAVFoundation
>
> --------
> Dan Wilcox
> @danomatika