[GEM-dev] video and film plugin API

Antoine Villeret antoine.villeret at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 21:00:48 CEST 2014

hello,

I'm planning to build some video encoding and decoding plugin based on
NVENC (see [1]).
NVENC works directly with GPU memory, so I'm wondering if the plugins API
allows me to work directly with Gem texture ?
And if not, is it possible (I mean : is it no too huge work) to update
plugins API to work with texture besides pix_block ?

I could make 2 externals to work directly with texture for video encoding
and decoding.
But NVENC is not the only API to do so, (I'm thinking about HAP on Mac OS,
see [2]) so maybe it's time to update API ?

Currently, no library used by Gem is using GPU for video coding/decoding
but Quicktime on Mac OS X which is now deprecated. And I think it could be
a nice feature.

Cheers

Antoine

[1] : https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk