[GEM-dev] modelloader plugins

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Oct 22 17:39:20 CEST 2014

On 10/21/2014 06:40 PM, Antoine Villeret wrote:
> hello,
>
> the only reason why I do not use VertexBuffer directly into
> modelloader.h is because VertexBuffer might use some OpenGL calls, at
> least it uses OpenGL variables.
> In a thought of leaving all OpenGL stuff outside model plugins, I
> avoid using VertexBuffer directly.
> But it might not be a good reason...

no, it's a very good reason.
as stated before, i strongly believe that any modelloader plugin MUST
NOT know anything about openGL.

using VertexBuffer would have been save, as long as
create/render/destroy are not used.
but i agree, that this is fragile, and we should use a type for
returning the data, that is guaranteed to not have anything openGL specific.

i'm thinking about a VertexData type, that is a stripped down version of
VertexBuffer (without anything related to openGL).
VertexBuffer would then simply have a member of this type (and some
other types that handle the openGL stuff; these should probably be
hidden in a PIMPL anyhow)

> Also this work is still in progress since material, color and some
> other properties need to be ported to VertexBuffer too (in my
> opinion).

yes of course.
i thought color was already there, but we need to add support for materials.

fgmrdsa