[GEM-dev] sharing texture between process

Antoine Villeret antoine.villeret at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 10:41:45 CET 2014

hello,

since texture sharing seems to work between context inside one Gem's
instance, I'm now wondering how we can introduce texture sharing
between process.
According to [1], texture (and more generally display list) can be
shared between process if direct rendering is disabled and process are
using the same X server.
If I understand correctly, the only thing to do is to share the
display list structure over process.
Could we use shared memory to do that ?

I look into the [gemglxwindow] and [gemglutwindow] code and it looks a
bit obscure to me, it uses advanced C++ idioms (PIMPL for the former
and CALLBACK4WIN for the latter) that I don't understand well yet. So
I want to know if this texture sharing between process is feasible
before going deeper.

Cheers

Antoine

[1] : https://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man2/xhtml/glXCreateContext.xml