[GEM-dev] context sharing

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jun 24 09:27:29 CEST 2015

On 2015-06-24 08:53, Husk 00 wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 3:12 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-06-22 22:53, Husk 00 wrote:
>>> intel_do_flush_locked failed: No such file or directory
>>
>> afaik the problem only occurs on intel drivers, though with intel
>> drivers it crashes consistently.
>>
> i'm tempted to believe that this is a bug in the drivers.
>>

> Seems correct. I'll try with different kernel versions and report here if I
> find something
>

>> and (worse), iirc the priority to fix that problem is rather low (who
>> needs multiple openGL contexts in a single application?).
>>

> I'm understand that priority is low. Still I believe that share context
> within same istance of Gem could be very handy for some situation like have
> a preview or PiP (in this case ContextInContext).  Don't you think?

i think that's a misunderstanding: i think that the priority is low for
the intel device driver developers.
so the drivers are unlikely to be fixed.
from the Gem side i would *love* to have multi-context support (that's
one of the main changes in the last few years!), and consider the
priority rather high.

so if it's fixable on the Gem side, it shall be done.

anyhow:
there is a bug in current Gem that prevents multi-window support in
non-context shared environments. if this bug was fixed, [gemglxwindow]
could be compiled without context sharing support and still allow
previewing in a separate window (though less performant).

finally:
afair glfw3 has support for context-sharing, and it (the glfw3 demo
showing this feature) doesn't seem to crash on intel cards.
which hints that the bug is really with Gem (not the drivers).
i can't remember the state of the [gemglfw3window] regarding context
sharing.

gmasdr