[GEM-dev] using Android as a tethered screen for vr

Max abonnements at revolwear.com
Mon Apr 3 18:50:24 CEST 2017

On 2017년 04월 02일 20:01, Max wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> that's interesting. I haven't thought about the VNC option. I will need
> A VNC server on my Linux computer which allows me to send the content of
> the GEM window only.

Note to self and anyone searching this some day: this works with x11vnc.
Use the command xwininfo to find out the ID of the window to be shared,
then use
x11vnc -id {id number here}
to share only one window to the vnc client.

However cardboard-vnc-free is doing too much. First of all, it controls
the moise pointer on the server (as a VNC client should) but I don't
need that. There is an option "Viewer" in the connection settings that
will diable this and lower the latency from about 3 seconds to 1 second.

cardboard-vnc-free is also adding two viewports to the shared image, to
fake a 3D. That's a show stopper, because I want to use the stereo mode
in GEM.

> Another idea would be to use VLC on the android phone to open a stream
> that is sent by the computer via Pd/Gem and some way to cast the stream.

I think this is the way to go. It also has lower latency than a VNC
connection.

What's the best way to stream a GEM window, so that I can play this
stream with VLC on the Android device?

M.