[GEM-dev] using Android as a tethered screen for vr

Benjamin ~ b01 benjah at free.fr
Mon Apr 3 20:59:34 CEST 2017

Hello,

Le 03/04/2017 à 18:50, Max a écrit :
> On 2017년 04월 02일 20:01, Max wrote:
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> that's interesting. I haven't thought about the VNC option. I will need
>> A VNC server on my Linux computer which allows me to send the content of
>> the GEM window only.
>
> Note to self and anyone searching this some day: this works with x11vnc.
> Use the command xwininfo to find out the ID of the window to be
> shared, then use
> x11vnc -id {id number here}
> to share only one window to the vnc client.
>
> However cardboard-vnc-free is doing too much. First of all, it
> controls the moise pointer on the server (as a VNC client should) but
> I don't need that. There is an option "Viewer" in the connection
> settings that will diable this and lower the latency from about 3
> seconds to 1 second.
>
> cardboard-vnc-free is also adding two viewports to the shared image,
> to fake a 3D. That's a show stopper, because I want to use the stereo
> mode in GEM.
>
>> Another idea would be to use VLC on the android phone to open a stream
>> that is sent by the computer via Pd/Gem and some way to cast the stream.
>
> I think this is the way to go. It also has lower latency than a VNC
> connection.
>
> What's the best way to stream a GEM window, so that I can play this
> stream with VLC on the Android device?
I would say (if you are on linux) : use
https://github.com/umlaeute/v4l2loopback to create a virtual v4l2
device, then it's possible to use pix_record eventually in conjonction
with pix_snap to shoot Gem window and write it to this virtual v4l2
device (on my computer, it would involve to send a [codec v4l2< message
to pix_record)
then you can stream to the Android device with ffmpeg fed by this v4l2
device and read it with vlc

also possible to grab the Gem screen with ffmpeg -f x11grab +options

++