[GEM-dev] financing Gem development

Chris Clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 20:30:41 CET 2017

It took me a very long time to write all of the Quicktime code for
pix_film/record/video and have it run well.  I think pix_record took a few
months to write working on it nearly full time.  After that it was a lot
more work to have them all run for months at a time without crashing.  I
was being paid to do it - along with the DirectShow code and a bunch of
other things.

A lot of the issues stemmed from how far apart Apple's intended use for the
code and what GEM needs to do were.  I would expect the newer frameworks
that are much more limited than the original ones to be a decent struggle
for performance and stability.

Chris

PS - I have no interest in writing code for anything Apple or any other
desktop OS again.