[GEM-dev] Improving Stereoscopic Anaglyph Rendering (red-cyan)

meschi at posteo.de meschi at posteo.de
Tue Jan 9 01:42:25 CET 2018

Hi,

I was experimenting with the anaglyph stereo rendering capabilities in
GEM. Since GEM only supports red-green rendering i was trying to extend
the source code, so red-blue glasses are supported (since they are much
more commonly found for cheap prices on ebay).

I noticed however that the Sourceforge code does not compile on my
Ubuntu box, while the Github version does. It could be useful to put a
notice on the overview page that points to the Github repository.

Anyways, I have some feature Ideas about anaglyph rendering (banging
[stereo 2( into [gemwin]). The idea is to extend the current
functionality with support for red-cyan glasses. Another feature that
may be handy is being able to dynamically change the distance between
the two "eyes" at runtime. Right now I'm not sure how to implement these
features the best way without breaking compatibility with old code. A
simple solution would be to add another case (i.e. "stereo 4"). However
this would lead to code duplication. Another idea is to add new setup
messages to be banged into gemwin. These could look like this:
[stereocolor RED CYAN(

This solution however would pollute the message namespace of [gemwin]
and may be much more complicated to implement.

The adjustable eye width could be implemented like that:
[stereowidth 0.5(

Since it would be nice if my code will be included into the official GEM
repository I thought it would be better to ask in advance to prevent
rewriting the code ;)

Best,
Kilian F.