[GEM-dev] [PD] Gem 64bit OS X development

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 09:57:38 CEST 2018

> On Sep 26, 2018, at 12:36 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> From: hi <joson.android at googlemail.com <mailto:joson.android at googlemail.com>>
>
>  hacki-copy-paste-programming skills

Copy pasta is probably less useful for this.

Having done some amount of work on this, I will say that a developer will need an understanding of:

- Makefiles + Autotools build system
- C, C++, and Objective-C
- setting appropriate compiler & linker flags
- Apple frameworks, especially AVFoundation
- general low-level video & audio data
- some amount of cross platform understanding, although this is for a single platform

It took me at least the equivalent of 1 full time week (maybe a few days more) to figure out GEM's build system and add a basic AVFoundationVideo player. Even then, I started by adapting a class from OpenFrameworks, then later rewrote it once I unerstood more of what's going on. I think camera capture and recording will be more difficult.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>