[GEM-dev] compiling Gem with MinGW64?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Dec 3 09:43:00 CET 2018

On 27.11.18 13:39, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> has anybody (recently) managed to compile Gem with MinGW64 (both 32bit
> and 64bit versions)? (i'm currently only interested in native
> compilation, not cross-compiling from linux)

TL;DR get rid of the msvcr*.dll files in pd\bin\

turned out to be pretty hard to find and easy to solve.
- Pd ships it's own versions of "msvcrt.dll" and "msvcrt90.dll" within
the "bin\" directory
- these "msvtr*.dll" files are *incomaptible* with recent MinGW-builds
- autotools/libtool (Gem's build system) does not allow to link against
a dynamic library by just using the full path (e.g.
"/Users/dev/src/pd-0.49-0-i386/bin/pd.dll"), instead we must specify the
path and the linking separately (e.g.
"-L/Users/dev/src/pd-0.49-0-i386/bin/ -l:pd.dll")
- when linking against the C-runtime ("msvcr"), the linker first finds
the msvcr*.dll in pd/bin (because explicit search paths take precedence
over built-in search paths)
- because the found msvcr*.dll is incompatible, the linking fails

removing the two offending files (or moving them out of the way) fixes
the issue. probably only one of them is to blame, i haven't checked.

fgmart