[GEM-dev] bugs in gem-0.94 w64

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jan 17 13:48:27 CET 2019

hi,

thanks for testing.

On 17.01.19 01:45, Patrice Colet wrote:
> [pix_image] doesn't load any image at all

it's supposed to load SGI-images (.rgb extension).
the imageSGI backend is the only one, that doesn't have any external
dependencies.
the image will appear upside down (that's fixed in git already).

> [pix_film] crashes with mpg,

but it works with AVI and MOV files? cool.

> avi is loaded but only show first frame, and it doesn't open mov file,

ah, darn.
can the mov files be played back with the windows media player?

> [model] only load obj files...

the modelOBJ backend doesn't have any external dependencies (as opposed
to the modelASSIMP backend).
at least, this is not a regression wrt Gem-0.93, that would only load
.obj models as well.

the main problem i see right now, is that any backends that require
additional dependencies (provided by the various lib*.dll files shipped
with Gem), do not seem to work at all :-(

how about [pix_video]?

> I couldn't say which backend is loaded, it doesn't show in console.

actually it should, but you might need to raise the verbosity (e.g.
"all", in the Pd-console window).
the film & video backends are displayed when [pix_film] resp [pix_video]
are first instantiated.
the image backends will be printed when Gem is loaded, something like:

> GEM: image loading support: SGI
> GEM: image saving support: SGI

the model-loading backends are currently not displayed at all.

(note to myself: this should be handled consistently for all backend
systems)

you might also want to start Pd from the cmdline (rather than clicking
on the Pd.exe), and raise the general verbosity to a higher level, using
 "-verbose -verbose -verbose" (the more the merrier)).

this should give you an indication about which backends (afaict: of any
kind) are attempted to load.
it also might give you a hint what goes wrong with the pugins that
depend on 3rd party dlls. (if not in the Pd-console, then probably in
the terminal)

also: do [text3d] and friends work?

> Do I have to compile pd with mingw64 on this machine for having
> plugins working?

i don't hope so.

fgamsdr
IOhannes

> Do I have to compile pd with mingw64 on this machine for having
> plugins working?

i don't think so.