[GEM-dev] vlc plugins on windoz [was Re: compilation with msys2 on w64]

Patrice Colet colet.patrice at free.fr
Mon Aug 5 11:02:00 CEST 2019

Le 26/07/2019 à 23:16, IOhannes m zmölnig a écrit :
> Am 26. Juli 2019 12:58:02 MESZ schrieb Patrice Colet <colet.patrice at free.fr>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm attempting to add a ffmpeg film plugin with a windows 64 machine...
>>
>> First I'd like to thank umläute about this wiki page:
>> https://github.com/umlaeute/Gem/wiki/How-to-build-Gem-on-Microsoft-Windows-(MINGW)
>>

>> It seems mingw packages has some improvements since this howto has been
>>
>> written...
> the most up-to-date "documentation" is probably in .git-ci/gitlab-iem.yml
>
> this is the actual code used to (auto)build Gem...

So far so good...

>> but is disabled when [pix_video] is loaded. I don't why it is
>> disabled...
> did you read the videoVLC section in the wiki? iirc you need to define some envvars to help libvlc find its decoding plugins.

Yes I did but I couldn't find a recent vlc build with this sdk folder, I
use binaries provided by pacman instead.

Following the forum discussion below I couldn't use envars on my windows
machine for locating VLC plugins:

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=129482

I've got gem_videoVLC loading only if I start pd like this:

pd/bin/wish86.exe pd/tcl/pd-gui.tcl

and it's enabled when I copy lib/vlc/plugins/ to the parent folder from
where libvlccore.dll resides, next to Gem in external folder. I also
have to launch this command line once before starting pd:

lib/vlc/vlc-cache-gen.exe lib/vlc/plugins/

At least this issue could be resolved with deken without the need of
installing VLC.

>> And in mingw32 the VLC plugin doesn't load at pd starting because
>> runDLL
>> don't find some vlc libs.
>
> AFAIK, recent vlc for windows only comes as 64bit binaries.

there are both x86 and x64 vlc binaries available, but I'm using x64
binaries since I've almost found out why gem_videoVLC doesn't load