[PD-announce] new expr/expr~/fexpr~ version 0.4test3

Shahrokh Yadegari syadegar at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Thu Jul 11 10:16:02 CEST 2002

Hi,
I have been away from this list for a while. Looking at the archives,
I noticed there has been some questions about expr.

I have a new version of expr/expr~/fexpr~ (0.4test3) with many changes. I
would appreciate hearing from anybody trying it before passing it to
Miller to be integrated in the full release. I hope this release would
address some of the raised concerns.  I have not compiled this version for
NT yet, and I suspect that it will not compile, specially due to the
introduction of many new math functions.  If you try it, let me know how
it goes.

You can see the documentation and download the new version at:

http:/www.crca.ucsd.edu/~yadegari/expr.html

There are major changes to this version:

- values defined by the "value" object can now be accessed like C
  variables.
  e.g. "expr 5 + xval", will look up the value of variable 'xval' (defined
  by "value" object) and add 5 to it

- multiple expressions, separated by semicolon, resulting in multiple
  outlets, can be defined in a single expr/expr~/fexpr~ object

- the if() function taking 3 arguments implemented:
        if (condition, IfTrue-expr, IfFalse-expr)
  for expr~ if the condition is a vector the condition is tested sample
  by sample

- the previous values of the multiple outputs can be accessed by $y#[idx]
  where <#> is the number of the expression and <idx> is the index.
  New shorthand notations have been added for fexpr~ to make writing
  filter expressions easier:
        $x -> $x1[0]
        $x# -> $x#[0]  e.g., $x2 -> $x2[0]
        $y -> $y1[-1]
        $y# -> $y#[-1]  e.g., $y2 -> $y2[-1]

- new math functions:
        cbrt - cube root
        erf - error function
        erfc - complementary error function
        expm1 - exponential minus 1,
        log1p - logarithm of 1 plus
        isinf - is the value infinite,
        finite - is the value finite
        isnan -- is the result a nan (Not a number)
        copysign - copy sign of a number
        ldexp  -  multiply floating-point number by integral power of 2
        imodf - get signed integral value from floating-point number
        modf - get signed fractional value from floating-point number
        drem - floating-point remainder function

   Thanks to Orm Finnendahl for sending in the following functions:
        fmod - floating-point remainder function
        ceil - ceiling function: smallest integral value not less than
               argument
        floor - largest integral value not greater than argument

Many of these changes were made so that one could use fexpr~ for solving
non-linear differential equations. The help file (help-expr.pd) includes
an example of generating chaotic signals using fexpr~ and Lorenz
equations.

Enjoy,
Shahrokh.
sdy at ucsd.edu