[PD-announce] interface using PD as sound engine

eh enrike at altern.org
Thu Oct 2 12:00:48 CEST 2003

hi all !,

We have created an prototype application that it is composed by an interface that
comunicates to a sound engine constructed on PD. This is yet an early release
release and there is much work to be done yet. however it can already be used and
we invite you to download and test it. Suggestions, critiques and help are welcome.

It is called Shell and it can be downloaded from this website www.ixi-software.net in
the software/download section. Please follow the download and install instructions
available in that page.

Find detailed description and screenshots at
http://www.ixi-software.net/content/body_software_shell.html

Shell is composed by two pieces of software. An interface that communicates to a
sound engine created using Pure Data

The interface is connected to the sound engine allowing to control
transformations applied to different samples by manipulating the
shape and location of different polygons in the interface.

This means that anyone (with knowledge of PD) can change the
sound engine for his/her own porposes. We hope that people
will do this and we would be very happy to incorporate changes or
different variations of the sound engine into the distribution.

The app was originally created for a sound installation and later
evolved to the current state. I guess its not very obvious how it
works, so if anyone doesn't understand it i could try to write a more
detailed description that the one on the application's documentation.

This app is at the moment just for Windows. We hope we will have a mac
version soon. We have Linux in mind but this is a bit
more complex due to the tools we have used.

Please report critics, ideas, bugs, problems ...
thanks!