[PD-announce] Re: [PD] xp4pd - extreme programming over the network

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Dec 18 20:05:38 CET 2003

On Wednesday, Dec 17, 2003, at 17:28 Europe/Brussels, Mathieu Bouchard
wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> This allows Pd users to practice 'extreme programming' (aka 'XP') in
>> realtime over the internet.  XP is the practice of 2 or more
>> programmers working on the same code at the same time collaboratively.
>
> Collaborative programming may be nice, but I'm sorry to tell you that
> it's
> not what Extreme Programming is at all.
>
> Here is a webpage that explains it better than I ever could, as it is
> written by Ron Jeffries himself.
>
> 	http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/whatisxp.htm

Ok, so maybe I don't have the business practices and team management
included yet, but maybe I am going to  ;).  But based on the 'Core
Practices', I would say that this qualifies as XP:

Core Practices: Simple Design, Pair Programming, Test-Driven
Development, Design Improvement, Continuous Integration, Collective
Code Ownership

especially when you consider the focus on 'Pair Programming'.

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                     -William Carlos Williams