[PD-announce] Newbie question re: pd and OSX setup

jj headski jayjayheadski at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 23 09:39:20 CET 2004

This is a newbie question so please be patient with me.

I have a Mac using OSX 10.3 and have a M-audio Ozone midi keyboard. I
installed Adam Lindsay's "package" pd 0.36 installation and am having some
problems. I searched the achive and noticed alot of people have similar
problems, but I still don't know whats wrong with my setup.  When i launch
pd I get the following:

could not open midi input device number 1: Invalid device ID.
using default input device number: -1
using default output device number: -1
nchan 2, flags 3, bufs 8, framesperbuf 256
Error number -9997 occured opening portaudio stream
Error message: Invalid device ID.

When I open the "test audio and midi" patch  from the help menu it seems
like no audio or midi messages are coming in or out. when I select the "test
tone" from this patch sometimes there is a white noise type sound, but most
of the time nothing at all.

so I typed in:

pd -midiindev 1 -midioutdev 2

still nothing. I also typed in:

-soundindev  -soundoutdev

nothing. What can I do to get it to work. How will I know when it's all
connected correctly.  I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could
offer. thanks