[PD-announce] spinOSC beta release

enrike enrike at altern.org
Wed Mar 3 16:53:58 CET 2004

hi all

I have been working on an interface that sends OSC info to PD. The idea
comes from an older app I developed (SpinDrum), a kind of weird drum
machine.

SpinOSC is a program where the user can create rotating objects - spins
- that trigger OSC messages while thy spin. The number of messages they
trigger depends on the number of boxes that each spin contains (1 to 10
at the moment).
The messages carry information about the properties of each spin such
as: location, number of boxes, size, rotation speed etc... These
properties can be easily controlled and changed by the user.
It is up to the user to map the values you get from the Spins to control
whatever value in the receiving end. I have included a PD patch
receiving the OSC info as an example and this can be easily modified.

At the moment SpinOSC runs only on windows. But I am planning to port it
to OSX soon. I would also like to port it to Linux but this is more
complex. I could do this by rewriting it on Python + Pygame but there
are few things I am not sure how to implement (like dialogue windows or
drag and drop functionality),
my python is very basic yet -> suggestions welcome as usual :-)

I would like to hear comments on it, ideas to improve it, bugs,
problems, anything. And if someone creates a nice PD patch for spinOSC
it would be great to incorporate into the distribution! (we already did
this with Picker, another app we created to comunicate to SuperCollider
and PD via OSC).

SpinOSC can be downloaded from
http://www.ixi-software.net/webnew/content/body_software_spinosc.html

Read the readme file for detailed description of the functionality, the
OSC messages sent and the Prefs file. I believe this Prefs file would be
useful to customise the behaviour of the application for your own needs.

I am trying to compile the latest source for the OSC external for
windows. The one that is publicly available dates fro april 2002 (!!)
and its limited in many ways + has few bugs. But this is going to take
me some time so I decided I can always change the dll in the
distribution later.

(If anyone is interested the old SpinDrum application can be downloaded
from www.ixi-software.net/content/download.html)

have fun

--
enrike ::