[PD-announce] [PD] Workshop with Derek Holzer and Frank Barknecht 2.-6.4.2008 in Halle, Germany

Max Neupert abonnements at revolwear.com
Thu Feb 28 16:58:23 CET 2008

Wow - i didn't know so much text fits in the Subject. Sorry.

There are just a few places left in the Workshop.

2 places left for the workshop with Derek Holzer 2.-3. April

1 place left for the whole session with Derek Holzer (first two days)
and Frank Barknecht (three following days) 2.-6. April

more info and admission through Werkleitz:
http://werkleitz.de/html_de/w_medienkunst_pure_data.html

impressions from last year:
http://kunstundmedien.burg-halle.de/km/pd-workshop07/

----

Academy of Fine Arts and Design Burg Giebichenstein in conjunction
with Werkleitz Association will organize a Pure Data Workshop from
the 2nd to the 6th of April 2008

First half of the Workshop will be held by Derek Holzer in English,
the second part will be held in German by Frank Barknecht.

Pure Data (or PD) is a free and open source real-time graphical
programming environment for audio, video, and graphical processing.

While many tools exist for sound, multimedia and VJ purposes, few of
them are designed with an open architecture which allows artists to
configure the tools they use themselves. Fewer still are free. The
dual package of PD [Pure Data] and GEM [Graphics Environment for
Multimedia], developed under an open source model by an international
community of programmers, offers just such a set of tools. Running
under Windows, Linux or Mac OS X, PD and GEM can be used in commonly
available, inexpensive hardware as a complete multimedia environment.
Both applications allow for the real-time manipulation of sound and
image data within a visual programming environment which does not
require any previous experience in traditional computer languages.

Because all of these types of media are handled as data in the
program, many fascinating opportunities for cross-synthesis between
them exist. Video can create sound or sound can be used to manipulate
video, which could then be streamed over the internet to another
computer which might use it to control a motor-driven installation.
PD is commonly used for live music performance, multichannel sound
installations, realtime video and VJing, sound effects composition,
interfacing with sensors, cameras and robots or even interacting with
websites.

Participants are encouraged to bring project ideas to the workshop,
so that these ideas can be used as the basis for instruction. The
workshop can cover basics of processing data, audio, MIDI, 3D and
video, for example, with the possibility of introducing physical
computing (interaction of computers with the real world via sensors,
lights, motors, etc) via the Arduino platform. It is open to those
with no computer programming background as well as those with
experience in similar multimedia environments such as Max/MSP,
Jitter, Reaktor, VVVV, SuperCollider, EyesWeb etc.

My manual-in-progress for Pure Data is here: http://
en.flossmanuals.net/PureData
Information about previous workshops can be found here: http://
www.umatic.nl/workshops.html

About the instructor:

Derek Holzer [USA 1972] is a sound artist with a background in radio,
webstreaming and environmental recording. His work focuses on
capturing and transforming small, unnoticed sounds from various
natural and urban locations, networked collaboration strategies,
experiments in improvisational sound and the use of free software
such as Pure-Data. He has released tracks under the Nexsound, Sirr,
and/OAR, Frozen Elephants Music and Gruenrekorder labels, and has co-
initiated several internet projects for field recording and
collaborative soundscapes including Soundtransit.nl. His current
projects include the electro-acoustic death metal duo "Abominations",
work with Theremin-controlled field recordings, solo performances for
analog synthesizer and a manual for Pure Data.

"One of the central concepts of my work is that every object and
space around us is a recorder. Each one has collected the resonances
of its surroundings for as long as it has existed. You could call it
an acoustic version of particle physics or genetics, because the idea
remains the same--in the smallest details you will find a
representation of the greater whole. My task as a sound artist is
often just to listen, and to listen very closely, to the histories
hidden inside our everyday world."

Holzer has performed live, improvised electronic music in many venues
and festivals in Europe, the US and Brasil including FILE (Sao Paulo,
BR), WRO (Wroclaw, PL), Netherlands Film Festival (Utrecht, NL),
Garage (Stralsund, DE), Videomedeja (Novi Sad, CS), BEK (Bergen, NO),
Transmediale (Berlin, DE), RAM6 (Vilnius, LT), Arts+Communication
(Riga, LV), Kuda.org (Novi Sad, CS), Earational Festival
(S'Hertogenbosch, NL), Medienturm (Graz, AT), Kunstraum (Innsbruck,
AT), Art Museum of Nantes (Nantes, FR), Montevideo (Amsterdam, NL),
Kraakgeluiden (Amsterdam, NL), Denver University (Denver, USA),
Fylkingen (SE) and others.