[PD-announce] PD installation in Sewanee, Tennessee

Greg Pond gregpond at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 20:15:40 CEST 2009

There is currently a PD installation in our university's gallery in
Sewanee Tennessee ( hometown of Miller Puckette)

http://art.sewanee.edu/art/2009/10/21/nowcasting-reception-and-talk/

the press release is below.

Greg

Sewanee’s University Art Gallery presents Nowcasting, an installation
created by the collaborative group TEH. It will be on view in the
University Gallery from October 9 – November 22, 2009.  There will be
an artists’ talk and reception on Friday, October 23rd at 4:30 pm in
Convocation Hall, immediately adjacent to the University Art Gallery.

Visitors to Nowcasting will experience the building of a digitized
storm in the confines of the gallery. Like TEH’s other works, this
installation is intended to “challenge the senses through the use of
simulation, and present weather/environment through mediated, virtual
and physical processes.” Entering a gallery space transformed by
sound, visitors will question the reality of what their senses tell
them about the surrounding environment.

TEH includes the artists Phillip Andrew Lewis, Adam Trowbridge and
Jessica Westbrook. They named their collaboration TEH after a mistake
commonly made when using a keyboard – typing “teh” instead of “the.”
This name represents the group’s interest in how an actively
participating audience can be a factor in the meaning of an artwork.
Individuals have unintended and surprising effects on the messages
they create and receive. This name also represents the group’s
interest in the difficulties of communication. Messages are often
scrambled, or mean different things to different people.
Representations intended to simulate reality can never be exactly the
same thing.

TEH uses modern interactive technologies to create their
installations, but is also interested in examining the impact and
meaning of those technologies for their users. In a world where we are
surrounded by televisions, wii games, computers and cell phones, how
is our experience of that world changed? The group’s current focus is
on the intersection of technology with weather and specific physical
sites. In today’s world, we experience even something as essential as
the weather mediated through technology. What are the implications if
technology can fool our senses and convincingly simulate real physical
experience?

Phillip Andrew Lewis often explores the viewer’s navigation of mental
and physical environments in his work. He received his Bachelor of
Arts in Psychology from the University of Memphis, and his MFA from
the Memphis College of Art. In 2005 Lewis established Medicine
Factory, a contemporary art space in downtown Memphis, and has
exhibited nationally and internationally. His professional awards
include a 2009 Digital Art Commission from the Austin Peay State
University New Media Program, a 2008 Tennessee Arts Commission
Individual Artist Fellowship, and a 2008 Public Art Grant from the
Urban Art Commission, Memphis. Lewis teaches Photography and Media
Arts at the University of Tennessee in Chattanooga.

Adam Trowbridge uses a variety of approaches and media, including
performance, video and computer-driven installations, to explore the
connections, and the gaps, between what we experience and what we
understand. Trowbridge received his MFA in Electronic Visualization /
Responsive Art from the University of Illinois at Chicago, and his
work has been featured nationally and internationally, including at
the Anthology Film Archives in New York, and at the Square Eyes
Festival in the Netherlands.

Jessica Westbrook works with photography, video, language, and
information design. In her work she explores subjective and often
contradictory responses to anything from cultural artifacts to extreme
situations. Westbrook received her MFA from the Tyler School of Art.
In 2005 she established the artist’s collective SEED in Chattanooga,
and has exhibited nationally and internationally. She has recently
been featured in Static, the Journal of the London Consortium, and in
Chicago’s artstorage.org. She teaches Photography and Graphic Design
at the University of Tennessee in Chattanooga.

Sewanee’s University Art Gallery is located on Georgia Avenue on the
campus of the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee.  The
gallery is free, accessible, and open to the public. Hours are 10 – 5
Tuesday through Friday and 12 – 4 on Saturday and Sunday.  Please call
(931) 598-1223 for more information, or visit our website at
http://www.sewanee.edu/gallery
.