[PD-announce] Doctoral Studies and Visiting Researcher Activities at the Department of Media, Aalto University School of Art and Design

Koray Tahiroglu koray.tahiroglu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 12:58:16 CET 2011

 -- Doctoral Studies --

The first part of the annual application deadline to doctoral studies at the Aalto University School of Art and Design (Helsinki/Finland) is approaching.

This is an announcement for those who are willing to continue further with doctoral studies, especially with a specific interest in multidisciplinary artistic/practice-based research. Applications are now being accepted for 2011-2012 academic year and must be delivered by March 15th.

Currently we are in the process of forming a new research group in the Department of Media with a special interest in Sound and Physical Interaction. Sound and Physical Interaction (SOPI) research group is focusing on sound and its critical role in designing new ways of interactions between humans through digital environments. The group's mission is to investigate and integrate innovative research activities in sound design and physical interaction practices on various scales to advance their role and impact in the future of media and interactive art.

The scope of the SOPI research group includes all aspects of computational analysis, synthesis and processing as applied to New Media practices; communication, audio-visual production, computer music and interactive art.

The research group combines both the expertise in Digital Audio and Interaction Design and the knowledge in Interactive Art and Product Design.

SOPI research areas include but not limited to;

- Sound in Product Design
- Multimodal Interfaces
- Physical Interaction
- Music Computing
- Mobile Music
- Auditory Displays
- Sonic Interaction
- Embodied approches in Participatory Music Experience
- Computational Models for Audiovisual Performances

I would like to encourage individuals to consider applications specifically addressing related research areas in SOPI research group, Department of Media, Aalto University School of Art and Design. You can contact me (koray.tahiroglu at aalto.fi) directly for any further information. Here it is the link for application http://www.taik.fi/research/howtoapply/

 -- Visiting Researcher Activities --

SOPI research group also aims to organize International Research Cooperation throughout the collaboration agreements with universities around the world and the Aalto University School of Art and Design. This will include researcher's mobility and joint research projects in collaboration with our european and other partners. You can contact me (koray.tahiroglu at aalto.fi) directly to discuss further any shared/joint interest in these activities.

Best,

Koray

M.Koray Tahiroğlu
Media Lab,