[PD-dev] message passing

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Thu Jun 6 16:44:51 CEST 2002

hi,

perhaps all the more experienced Pd coders did not notice this
thread (or my question was badly posed)?  Anyway, I would like
to try once again, this time with some measurement data (not
very hard data yet)...

...on my system, using method 5 as a reference, on average:

. method 1 performs 2.5 times slower,

. method 4 is 4.25 times slower and has nasty peaks.

For each method there are two objects in my test patch:  one
outputs a message stored internally (no copying cost in case of
method 5), the other appends its internal message to a message
passed from the first object.

Whoever likes to try the same (lame) test, and make further
experiments, might grab the newest cyclone snapshot, wherein there
is a 'testmess' class and a testmess-test.pd test patch.

Krzysztof