[PD-dev] message passing

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Fri Jun 7 12:38:07 CEST 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Krzysztof Czaja wrote:

> hi,
>
> perhaps all the more experienced Pd coders did not notice this
> thread (or my question was badly posed)?
Me, for my part, I was to lazy to think about it :)

>Anyway, I would like
> to try once again, this time with some measurement data (not
> very hard data yet)...
>
> ...on my system, using method 5 as a reference, on average:
>
> . method 1 performs 2.5 times slower,
>
> . method 4 is 4.25 times slower and has nasty peaks.

Frequent memory allocation should always be avoided, so method 5 is the
best way to go. If your buffer gets to small, reallocate its memory
increasing it by an appropriate size, that has
to be done only in a few cases, so most of the time you will get away
with the best of both worlds, no memory allocation and dynamic space,

Guenter