[PD-dev] GEM development

Daniel Heckenberg daniel at bogusfront.org
Thu Jun 13 05:28:57 CEST 2002

Hi,

Is anyone doing much in the way of GEM development at the moment?

I've been digging into GEM to write a couple of my own objects and fix a few
bugs that have reared their heads...

Things that I'm interested in at the moment

- multitexturing (in the GEM todo file)

- render to texture
- render to pixbuffer (in the GEM todo file)

- pixel shader programming to do pix_ style effects in compatible video
hardware (altho I believe this is vendor specific at the moment).

I've also made some fairly significant changes to the gempixdualobject class
to fix a few bugs.  As far as I can tell, the class is/was fairly
problematic both in operation and during shutdown due to the way the right
input behaves.

I've fixed the problems that I've encountered but they're quite drastic.  I
made the stoprender call part of the daglink structure rather than a method
of gembase.  This way it can be called on a per-input rather than per-object
basis.  This fixes all of the shutdown/object deletion crashes that I was
having with the released version of the code (0.87)

Has there been any discussion about the design of n-input GEM objects?

daniel