[PD-dev] GEM development

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Thu Jun 13 11:09:45 CEST 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Daniel Heckenberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is anyone doing much in the way of GEM development at the moment?
>
> I've been digging into GEM to write a couple of my own objects and fix a few
> bugs that have reared their heads...
>
> Things that I'm interested in at the moment
>
> - multitexturing (in the GEM todo file)
>
> - render to texture
> - render to pixbuffer (in the GEM todo file)
>
> - pixel shader programming to do pix_ style effects in compatible video
> hardware (altho I believe this is vendor specific at the moment).
>
> I've also made some fairly significant changes to the gempixdualobject class
> to fix a few bugs.  As far as I can tell, the class is/was fairly
> problematic both in operation and during shutdown due to the way the right
> input behaves.

hi,

sounds great,
I have lately been trying to improve pix_ operations performance with MMX
and switching to integer only calculations. ..
One thing I ended up doing is to make the imageStruct a real class,
which should make the handling of pixes a lot easier.

> I've fixed the problems that I've encountered but they're quite drastic.  I
> made the stoprender call part of the daglink structure rather than a method
> of gembase.  This way it can be called on a per-input rather than per-object
> basis.  This fixes all of the shutdown/object deletion crashes that I was
> having with the released version of the code (0.87)

I would  like to have a look at that. I don't really understand what a per
input stoprender means.

> Has there been any discussion about the design of n-input GEM objects?

You mean n images input ? Not that I can remember.

I have already asked Johannes about setting up a CVS for GEM, this would
make shared development a lot easier.

Can you send a diff against gem-0.87 of the changes you did ?

Guenter