[PD-dev] more GEM development

Daniel Heckenberg daniel at bogusfront.org
Mon Jun 17 01:48:04 CEST 2002

Yup.  It would seem to be easier and more elegant to do it that way: e.g.
use the same message that creates the chain but with a NULL cache pointer...
but as GEM doesn't know about PD connection making or breaking, I think that
the connections could change between when the render chain is made and when
the chain is destroyed.  I haven't looked into this in detail but it seems
more robust and straightforward to use the existing chain itself to do the
stoprender.

dag = directed acyclic graph (from memory).

> > Looking through the per-input code above, the obvious question
> is "how to
> > make this easily extend to n-input objects?". The motivation for n-input
> > objects seems pretty clear: e.g doing n layer compositing would be much
> > neater and faster that way.
>
> ah, forget about the point I was making in my last mail about that,
> there are probably hundreds of thinkable effects that just might use
> three image or more as an input.
>
> making image processing work in a similar way that signal processing
> is done in pd would be really cool. Having a basic set of objects to
> build homegrown video effects ...

Yes - it would be great.

There are a couple of related projects (of which you're probably aware) for
video in jMax: GridFlow and VideoDSP.  If/when I get a chance I'll look at
some of the image processing objects for jMax to see if there's any chance
to make cross-development easy between those objects and the GEM pix_s.  It
would be good to share objects across the different systems and share the
task of optimising things.

Daniel