[PD-dev] GEM development

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Mon Jun 17 12:26:32 CEST 2002

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Daniel Heckenberg wrote:
> This does get hairy very quickly... in many situations with recent Intel
> processors it's faster to use floating point math than integer.  MMX tips
> the balance back (particularly for image processing because there's native
> saturation mode arithmetic) but SSE gives you SIMD for floating point as
> well.

mhm, I thought integer would be faster in any case, and then there is the
problem of memory usage, so there is no way of storing the data in float,
because it would need 4 times more memory, hence conversion from float
to integer, etc ... but I didnt look at what SSE offer for this.

> Intel have some highly optimized libraries for image processing (including
> 2d convolution) which are available for windows and linux.  The licensing
> terms may be incompatible with pd (not sure about this) but they would
> provide a good performance reference.

yes surely, actually I think they have  the convolution as an example in
there documentation.

As a reference, definitively very good, ... now someone has to hack it in
:)

> > Doing that I am trying to figure out how to reconstruct render chains
> > every time the patch is changed, ... would be great if there was
> > immediate feedback if the patch is edited.
>
> Yes... I guess this would involve sending messages down the pd connections
> and comparing the resultant chain to the existing render chain.  I'm not
> sure how slow this would be, altho it wouldn't be hard to check.  Could be
> nice as an "edit" mode rather than "performance" mode.

I think it will be fast enough ...

Guenter