[PD-dev] CVS for pd externals

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Mon Jun 17 16:00:36 CEST 2002

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Juha Vehviläinen wrote:
> Good news!
>
> My id in sourceforge.net is "jusu".
>
> Is there a tree structure to think of..  or will it .. happen by itself?

Yep, there is something we have to think of, reading the docs of
sourceforge it seems to be a bit complicated to change it later, ....

My proposal as a starting point for discussion:

cvsroot -> pd (The pd source, playground for tcl/tk hacks, fonts, and
               probably other improvement and bugfixes. If this works
               out, we might do some serious stuff here, having different
               branches and ideally Miller doing his updating this too.
               So we could have a miller branch, and a hackers

cvsroot -> abstractions
              place for patches, effects etc, ...
cvsroot -> gem
cvsroot -> externals -> <externalpackage1>
                        <externalpackage2>
                                :
                        <externalpackagen>
                        release

The external packages should be put into the externals subdirectory as
they are (I think most of them have a top directory, which will later
serve as a module name too).

The idea of the release project is to put symlinks to the different
externals there and provide na additional build systems.
First the simple things, later we think about externals that depend
on libraries, or external libraries that use common code.

This way, the externals that are in release are the ones that the
developers think that should be in releasable state, still everyone
can toy around in his specific externalpackages, have non working and
experimental stuff in there.

The stuff in release will be used by the autobuilders too.

I hope this will get us a fast start, because for the developers in
the first place nothing changes. They just have to import their package
using "cvs import externals/<externalpackage> vendor-tag release-tag",
or the equivalent in wincvs.

I would prefer to build standalone externals wherever possible, instead of
libraries. Thats why gem is not really part of the externals subdirectory.

Comments welcome, there is a lot left to say, define, write down, etc.

Guenter