[PD-dev] linking in the heat

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Fri Jun 21 16:27:17 CEST 2002

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Krzysztof Czaja wrote:

> hi all,
>
> it is so hot here, thinking is so hard and painful... are there
> cooler places on earth, where pd-dev people live?

Barcelona, but with air conditioning :)

<snipped the 6 possibilities)

> Btw, perhaps due to my mind melting in the heat, I somehow tend to
> like the method 6 (if only it was a part of Pd api...)

Depending on the shared code, I prefer version 2 and version 6,
whereas version 6, the automatic loading of common code seems
to be more generic, and therefore preferable.
The only problem I see is, when distributing a patch with the used
externals people might tend to forget to copy the common code
part (external)

They ugly thing about version 6 is that you have to supply a stub for
every external symbol, otherwise you probably would not be able to load
the externals, ...

Guenter

> Btw, options 4/5 cannot be applied in case of the cyclone library.
> They might be in case of xeq or vexing (currently both are using
> a modified version of the first method, while a cyclone user has
> to choose between options 1 and 2).

I dont really like the libraryname_externalname approach ..