[PD-dev] External interaction speed + deconstructor methods

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Thu Jun 27 22:57:18 CEST 2002

Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 wrote:
> My SDL external blits and updates the render window each time the
> "blender_alpha"
> method is called (by the alpha selector). As far as I can tell the render
> speed is quite sufficient, but seems to lag behind what the number box is
> doing. Its like my number box goes through a pipe object before it gets
> to the external. Its just not quite as responsive as i would like. Is it
> more likely my SDL rendering speed or does an external have a built-in
> input buffer causing the lag? Here is my blender_setup function:

when you heavily drag your number-box you get quite a lot of numbers
within a short period. (like 200 per sec, depending on your mouse-speed)
you then will call the SDL-call 200 times per sec.
this is much calculation !

maybe you should try throttling down the calls to blender_alpha with a
timer or something.
a maximum of 20 blendings/second should be enough

> While I'm on the topic, what is the proper way to create a deconstructor
> function? (to close my SDL process when PD closes) I tried passing
> (t_newmethod)sdl_close as the 3rd argument to my class_new function, but
> that causes the following compile error:
>
> blender.c: In function `blender_setup':
> blender.c:82: warning: passing arg 3 of `class_new' from incompatible
> pointer type

it's a (t_method) not a (t_newmethod)

mfg.cds.r
IOhannes