[PD-dev] STL & C++ & platforms - a question

Karl MacMillan karlmac at mail.dkc.mse.jhu.edu
Tue Jul 30 16:13:32 CEST 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, mark wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on a component that will end up as a PD external and
> I am needing a hashmap or something similar - poking around I discover
> the Standard Template Library which looks like it has what I need (which
>
> makes me feel old - this has appeared since I stopped using C++ afer
> using it
>  for years and years  - eek!)

The standard STL doesn't have a hash_map, but it is a common extension.
There is a map object that will work in most instances, however.

> Anyway - my questions is - if I use this (I am using Visual C++ .Net at
> the moment )
> will my stuff compile on all of the other non-windows platforms you guys
> are using?

If you use map it will work everywhere, but if you use hash_map it will
not work on newer versions of gcc (3.0 and above).

> I assume that STL is ok and not a pile of garbage that everyone avoids
> like the
> plague.

I use the STL and like it because it is powerful and fast. Other people
avoid it like the plague, though! If this is your first use of it be
prepared for some truly awful compiler error messages and interesting
debugging sessions.

Karl