[PD-dev] pure-data CVS

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Thu Aug 8 19:54:15 CEST 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Juha Vehviläinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If i can help with the build-system, let me know.

yes, always, first problem I have is that I want to structure the
externals somehow, but I didn't come up with a good classification yet.

Maybe we should discuss this on the list, so I have CC'd this.

There has been some discussion about different classes of externals which
as far as I can remember didn't come to a conclusion, maybe we should talk
about  that again.

> With autofetching, I though of pd instead of saying
> "couldn't create foo" would see if foo can be downloaded
> (and built?, and installed) from the cvs. Don't know
> if this could work even reasonably well though.

ah, I understand. In the first place this would mean a change in pd's
code, something like a message ; pd loadfailed <externalname> that gets
issued by the loader, then it would be possible to implement, but surely
only for linux.

But actually its a good idea to have a build system this way, where you
can start a small script/program and this will download and build the
external that you requested.

Guenter