[PD-dev] Pd and Intel IA32 compiler

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Fri Aug 9 14:13:17 CEST 2002

Hi developers,

has anybody ever tried to use the Intel C++ compiler for Pd under Win? I
just tried but noticed one anomaly:

When compiling I get the following warning for every EXTERN_STRUCT
definition:

warning #1128: a storage class may not be specified here

Changing the definition in m_pd.h seems to help (I don't get the warning
any longer):

    /* and depending on the compiler, hidden data structures are
    declared differently: */
#ifdef __GNUC__
#define EXTERN_STRUCT struct
#else
#ifdef IA32 /* Intel IA32 compiler */
#define EXTERN_STRUCT struct
#else  /* non-GNU compiler */
#define EXTERN_STRUCT extern struct
#endif
#endif

It's also necessary to define "IA32" for the compiler to get the above
code working... (maybe the compiler identifies itselfe by it's own but I
couldn't find any hints)

In the end it seems that this compiler reduces CPU usage a bit (on my P4
with compiler options G7 and QaxW set). More tests have to show if it's
worth the effort. I should probably recompile all libraries as well...

I could upload a version of Pd0.35 compiled with this compiler in case
someone is interested or is willing to test the amount of optimization
one gets in real 'on-stage' situations.

Olaf