[PD-dev] pure-data CVS

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Fri Aug 9 18:53:07 CEST 2002

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Winfried Ritsch wrote:
> We tried to solve this problems some time ago and therefore made the
> Pure Data Base, where all names should be listed and (We did it for our
> libraries), if somebody is developping an external he can look if the
> name exist. This princip needs some disciplin to enter data
> there: http://pd.iem.at/pdb/
>
> We think about extenting the interface, where every one can make
> entries by himself (user passwd for owned externals) and where he can
> reservate some name(space), (for a certain amount of time, when no
> release in this time the name will be freed again), also the status of
> the object can be listed there, ...
>
> ... but we should make some rules like every name of a library should
> have an unique prefix and prefixes can be reservated like names...
>
> ...maybe this could be done via some webinterfaces on several sites
> using an central database.

I think this approach would be a good solution, but as you said, it needs
discipline, and for chaotic guys like me, who forget to put collected
addresses in their own addressbook, this probably won't work.

Thats why I tried to convince people to use a centralized CVS. It has many
advantages for the developers themselves, and as a side effect makes a
centralized naming system very easy to build.

The question now is just how to structure it.

Guenter

Music Technology Group - UPF, Barcelona <http://www.iua.upf.es/mtg/eng/>
AGNULA - A GNU Linux Audio distribution <www.agnula.org>
DeMuDi - Debian Multimedia Distribution <www.demudi.org>