[PD-dev] pure-data CVS

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Fri Aug 9 19:27:38 CEST 2002

günter geiger hat gesagt: // günter geiger wrote:

> I think this approach would be a good solution, but as you said, it needs
> discipline, and for chaotic guys like me, who forget to put collected
> addresses in their own addressbook, this probably won't work.
>
> Thats why I tried to convince people to use a centralized CVS. It has many
> advantages for the developers themselves, and as a side effect makes a
> centralized naming system very easy to build.
>
> The question now is just how to structure it.

(I'm starting to think aloud now:)

This is indeed a problem, because externals have a flat structure, if
I'm right. With abstractions, one could specify the full path or a
part of it to a specific abstraction with a name, that might be used
for another abstraction. But there isn't something like that for
externals. From a user's perspective, I would like to be able to write
such things with dots like using [maxlib.gauss] and [footils.gauss] in
one patch, assuming both gauss are different external objects in the
"namespaces" maxlib and footils.

Then we would only need to manage the toplevel namespaces, which
probably would be less work than having to manage all external's
names.

On the other hand, the length of object names is somewhat crucial in
PD, because it's graphical programming and having very long object
boxes is a Bad Thing for the limited space in a patcher. I'm not sure,
how a "using namespace maxlib" could be implemented or be useful in
the PD programming language.

ciao,