[PD-dev] alsa rme pd again

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Mon Aug 12 17:37:08 CEST 2002

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Now, I have a more fundamental problem... I have yet, after trying on two
> machines, to get the ALSA RME driver to find my RME cards!

How are you installing ?
I commonly just ignore the ALSA installation instructions and do a
modprobe snd-rme9652

if that succeeds, you are the half way there. If not, then there is
a serious problem. (Note, earlier the same module was called
snd-card-rme9652, but this was changed ...)

The /dev/snd should be there and is a directory that shows the ALSA
devices.
if not, then link it
ln -s /proc/asound/dev /dev/snd

Then I think you dont even have to start the mixer, because the RME
doesnt have a mixer, and so the ALSA drivers cant mute the  channels :)

Guenter