[PD-dev] ? about GEM #ifdef's

tigital tigital at mac.com
Mon Sep 9 01:26:24 CEST 2002

hiya,

...well, on OS X, I finally think I've got a better way of opening
movies (and therefore everything else) that does without the copy
from offscreen buffer to image.data...however, it did make me wonder
what a coupla #ifdef's are, or at least their purpose:

#ifdef GL_VERSION_1_1
...and...
#elif GL_EXT_texture_object

...I know that OS X supports GL_Version 1.3 in hardware and 1.1 in
software (at least on my Radeon mobility), but I don't see a GL
extension for GL_EXT_texture_object...is this some kind of legacy
extension?

Also, is the #ifdef GL_VERSION_1_1 valid for version 1.1 and higher?

I'm quickly coming to an understanding that I need to acquaint myself
with the "red book" a bit more, cuz I just spent the last week trying
figure out why textures came out weird, and it turns out to just be a
need for GL_UNSIGNED_INT_8_8_8_8_REV instead of GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE...at
least as far as GL_RGBA goes!

Lastly, maybe it would be a good idea to central-ly locate and
explain all of the existent "#ifdef's" in a readme file, so there'd
be less confusion for new contributors...

l8r,
jamie