[PD-dev] cvs tag policy?

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Mon Sep 9 13:14:54 CEST 2002

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Bryan Jurish wrote:

> good morning again,
>
> first of all, thanks to Guenter and everyone who got the cvsrepository
> at sourceforge off the ground and running -- yes, Guenter, i really do
> think that cvs is the "right" way ;-)
>
> now, back to being a bother (sorry): is there a policy regarding
> the use of symbolic tags in the sourceforge cvs repository?  are
> we planning on using tags to identify releases of external bundles,
> as well as individual externals?  [i ask because now that i've actually
> managed to import, update, and commit, i feel the irresistible urge
> to tag (pure habit, but it can be useful)...]
>
> if no policy regarding symbolic tags yet exists, might i suggest
> the following?
>
>  vXX_YY        : individual external versioning
>  release_XX_YY : for external "bundles"
>
> alternately, i suppose we could reserve tags like
>
>  "EXTERNALNAME_XX_YY"
>
> for individual externals, where "EXTERNALNAME" is the name of
> the top-level external directory...
>
> marmosets,
> 	Bryan

I really want to encourage everyone to make suggestions. And I think we
have to agree on some tagging philosophy sooner or later.

Do you have a special case for what you want to tag at the moment ?
I think that it might be confusing tagging individual externals. For the
moment we should probably tag whole directories only, no matter if they
are "a bundle" or a single external. The important thing is that when
retrieving a tagged version you get everything, working build system and
source code that fit together.

This is grounded on my view of tagging as being a way to make some sort of
working release of a (sub)-project.

Do we need the vXX_YY and EXTERNALNAME_XX_YY ?

Greetings,

Guenter