[PD-dev] loading abstractions into objcts...?

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Thu Sep 26 09:31:45 CEST 2002

hi Daniel and all,

Daniel Heckenberg wrote:
 > Can someone tell me if there's a way to get the "newest" object from an
 > external?

it is visible on linux, but hidden otherwise -- do not use it
then.  I really do think something like pd_newest() call would be
very handy (please...)

 > I was suggesting doing the dynamic patching programmatically... trying to
 > avoid any duplication of PD internal code and make a clone/array that is
 > more robust.

there is the nqpoly~ by pix, which uses a very heavy dynamic
patching, and does the job nicely.  In the long run, though, I do
not think dynamic patching can be robust?

The code duplication itself, which is minimal, is not a problem --
the hard part is how to keep up with future changes of the Pd's
internal code.  The API is the way to go, if there is any...

But the worst of all solutions would be to make an abstraction
embedder class through modifying Pd's internal code, just for the
sake of the current project needs.

 > As an aside, is it really true that nobody has created an sprintf external
 > for PD yet?  Now there's a project for this weekend...

it is in the cyclone (please test and report:)

Krzysztof

(since sooner or later a poly~-compatible external will be
included in the cyclone library, or whatever name will it be
called then, so if you intend to work on this, let us be in
touch...)